The vision for this picturesque farm and its Solara Organic Wines is achieving sales and profitability levels that ensure long-term sustainability as a model of achievement in organic production, to be emulated by other producers and thereby benefitting the ecological system as a whole.
Also encouraging natural plant growth and the restoration of native fauna, to balance the environment, literally from the sky down to the smallest microbes in the soil. Ensure all inputs are compatible with organic practice.
Hout Baai Farm strives to be a symbol of quality, character and total harmony with and sustainability of its environment and community.
Organic production approach
- Restore the land by eliminating the application of artificial fertilisers, insecticides, herbicides and all unnatural substances, and ensure all inputs are compatible with organic practice.
- Encourage natural plant growth and the restoration of native fauna, to balance the environment, literally from the sky down to the smallest microbes in the soil.
- Use weeds, hand and machine cut, for compost, mulch and feeding worms for vermicast fertilisation and compost tea.
- Protect the indigenous flora in natural areas to create bio-diversity.
- Establish tree barriers to protect the land from ‘neighbourly’ contamination.
- Ensure corridors for free migration of fauna.
- Halt erosion with natural barriers
- Install predator bird perches
- Cultivate worm farms